Thursday, February 7, 2013

Live Instructor/Teacher - better for some tasks than online, asynchronous

I discovered that online learning asynchronous  has a huge downside for me when it comes to learning technical knowledge.

  I was very frustrated by the wordprocessing and formatting task.  I longed for those far off days when I sat at the typewriter (not electric) and Miss Whateverhernamewas explained the activity - and off we went - and she hovered over us and was there to help us through the knotty parts. If I needed some quick help I could ask the student next to me.

 Trying to find answers online was infuriating - and a terrible waste of time.  I spent over six hours on that dratted activity - I do know how to wordprocess, frame, insert. I thought it would be so easy - then I met with all kinds of small bugs and fell apart.

I do not feel I am in a "class".  Although we have had some contact here and there I do not want to bother the others, or the instructor, with all the small issues so I struggled and struggled.  If there had been someone next to me to ask I'm sure the issues would have been cleared up in minutes.  All the "videos" and "tutorials" and ASK.com pages and posts were no substitute for a quick hands on demonstration.

(And yes, I am only now starting Module 3.4)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with much of what you said but I feel this course has been more effective online. I usually love being in a class but this has helped me learn how to troubleshoot. I am not as nervous about experimenting as I was at the begining of the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One could probably work out how to ride a bicycle on one's own - but I remember my brother's demonstrations and steadying hand and how that helped me. In the end however he could not do the cycling for me and I had to do that myself...many bruises.

      I think a "blended" module would have saved me a lot of time (I am starting 3.5...) and my computer would be less bruised. (Cartoon: Computer comes with airbag that deploys when you bang your head in despair against it!)

      But yes, I also take more "risks" and the computer hasn't exploded once.....

      Delete